French National Plateform for End-of-Life Research
By generating knowledge, research contributes to the evolution and to the improvement of health care practices. It also favorizes the acculturation of health professionals and citizens to end-of-life issues.
From drug research to philosophy, through economics and public health, end-of-life research covers a wide range of disciplines and approaches (medicine, nursing, public health, epidemiology, economics, psychology, sociology, ethics, etc.). Because of this complexity, this research is not yet sufficiently structured both at the national and international level.
For this purpose, the French National Platform for End-of-Life Research was created in 2018 to improve french research quality and to promote exchanges between researchers. By bridging together researchers and clinicians, the Platform encourages interdisciplinary interfaces, collaborative approaches and methodological innovations that take into account the complex realities of the end of life situations.
The platform aims to:
- federate research forces in the field of end-of-life research ;
- promote interdisciplinary exchanges and optimize partnerships between researchers and clinicians from different disciplines, at regional, national and international level;
- make end-of-life research known and recognized and of interest to scholarly societies, research institutes and policy makers;
- disseminate these questions in the public debate.
Building a national research network
- By identifying researchers, research areas, methods, projects, institutions and researchers needs.
- By promoting and facilitating collaborations between stakeholders, clinicians, researchers and research units at regional, national and international levels.
- By encouraging the integration of young researchers into research teams.
Support for research and training
- By facilitating access to training for clinicians and researchers.
- By supporting researchers in the development of their projects.
- By implementing scientific watch tools (publications, calls for projects, conferences).
Strategic actions to develop End-of-life research
- By promoting end-of-life research to the scientific community and to the general public.
- By encouraging the emergence of specific calls for projects and prepare research teams to submit proposals.
- By helping to disseminate research results and facilitating the participation of researchers in national and international conferences.
The Platform provides both a national researcher online directory to identify researchers working on end-of-life in France and a research project directory to increase the visibility of their work.
It also organizes two national scientific conferences a year, promotes regional meetings and provides online training courses. It undertakes scientific watch and broadcasts scientific information amongst researchers but also towards the general public.
End-of-life resarch in France
In 2019, the Platform conducted a national survey to identify researchers working in this field. At the moment, 304 researchers are registered in our national directory.
Women are slightly more represented than men (60% versus 40%). About 40 disciplines are represented, about the half belongs to the medical, paramedical, life and earth sciences and the other half to the human and social sciences.
The French National Platform for End-of-Life Research is supported by :
- the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation;
- the General Directorate for Healthcare Provision (DGOS) of the French Ministry of Solidarity and Health;
- the Fondation de France;
- Bourgogne Franche-Comté University.